Fort Wayne, Indiana
The McCulloch-Weatherhogg House, home of United Way of Allen County, was built in 1883 for banker Charles McCulloch, son of Hugh McCulloch, secretary of the treasury under Presidents Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson and Chester A. Arthur. Charles' sons, John Ross McCulloch and Frederick McCulloch, eventually lived on either side of the double house. Later, the Victorian Gothic Revival was the residence of John Ross McCulloch and prominent local architect Charles Weatherhogg.
At one time, the building was in such disrepair from fire, water and neglect that it was placed on the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana's 10 Most Endangered Buildings List. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places. The Historic Landmarks Foundation began restoration of the building and adjacent carriage house in approximately 2003. After purchasing the building from Historic Landmarks Foundation in late 2005, Fort Wayne businessman Jerry Henry began a comprehensive rehabilitation of the structure for the United Way. The architect-of-record, Kelty Tappy Design, Inc., designed and supervised the rehabilitation and also developed and filed the paperwork for historic certification with the National Park Service.